The touted example of Bank of America's abuse is a military Private who racked up almost $1,800 in overdraft fees. Do you know what that means? He consistently spent money he did not have. But he is the victim? The rules and expectations of those fees are always outlined in the card agreement. So you get to be shocked and incredulous because you didn't read it?
Now Bank of America will just cut you off and deny the charge when you run out of money. This makes more sense for all involved. But should this be expected of them? Are we entitled to have them parent our spending for us when we can't have the personal resposibility to do it ourselves? That seems to be what an outraged public believes. We are entitled to have everyone else do our work for us.
I just find it sad.

Sadly, that sense of entitlement is so prevalent these days! I keep thinking about Veruca Salt in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory who wanted everything, "NOW!" What happened to the good 'ol days when people actually worked and saved for things rather than expecting everything to be handed to them on a silver platter? It's a challenge trying to teach children about personal responsibility when the society around them tells them they can have whatever they want whenever they want it. It's like an epidemic here in Riyadh. I'm glad I have at least one sane friend who understands the importance of personal responsibility. Thanks for another thought-provoking post!
ReplyDelete