Again the Turks have made my day. This afternoon we went to the Doner place near our house. I've never been there, but we were out for a walk, and I did not feel like making lunch when we got home. You may remember that Doner restaurants are Gyro places, quick Turkish food and pizza. Eric and I both ordered the Doner teller (Doner plate - it's gyro meat, salad and fries), but I asked for "no sauce." She asked, "even on the salad?" Again I said, "no thank you. No sauce." We take a table outside. She brings the kids pizza. She brings Eric's Doner plate. She comes to the door again and motions for me to come into the restaurant.
She has my Doner plate on the counter and asks again if I want sauce on my salad. No thank you. There is another lady just sitting at a table. She says, "no sauce?" They don't know what to make of me. They are both pretty stout, earthy Turkish women, and I have a feeling they think it's vanity that makes me want no sauces, but I just don't like that yogurt stuff. It makes my teeth feel coated. They converse, then the lady that works there asks me something else, but before I can figure it out she heads to the back of the kitchen, while the lady at the table asks me something else I don't understand. I apologize for my bad German and tell her I speak English. "Oh, English!" she says. "And your husband?" "Only English. All speak English."
So now the other lady is back. She has brought olive oil, vinegar and a salad herb packet. "Oh, yes! Thank you very much!" I tell her. She puts on the oil then asks if I want the vinegar or the herbs. I point to the herb pack. She tears it open, sprinkles some on, takes another herb shaker and sprinkles some of that. I keep saying, "That is so kind. Thank you. That is perfect." So she gives me my plate. Both women look very pleased with themselves. When I go outside Eric says, "they didn't offer me special salad dressing."
So, when we are all done I go in to pay. She asks how everything was, which I don't immediately get, then she repeats, in English, "All is good?" "Ah, yes! Very good. Thank you very much!" I apologize again for my bad German, tell her I am slowly learning (or I am a slow learner, which feels a lot more accurate). She kindly says it is no problem, then asks if I live in Dielheim and looks very surprised when I say yes. (I can't even speak German. What the heck am I doing in this village?)
I pay then offer her a tip. She holds up her hands and says no, then in English, "Next time." I may be a freak who speaks little of their language and, bafflingly, doesn't like the super-special sauce, but the lovely Turks and their kindness have made my day again.

No comments:
Post a Comment