Calahonda Beach is located just next to the Balcony of Europe. The Balcon de Europa is a 9th century Moorish fortress that juts out over the sea in a half-circle. Today it hosts a restaurant and upper deck offering gorgeous views like this:

View from the Balcony. We spent most of our beach time in the coves just past the
umbrellas set up on the beach. We also had an amazing lunch at the restaurant sitting down on the beach. I assumed it would be your usual beach stand fare, but I had steamed salmon and veggies with
aioli.

Down on the beach I saw this cottage
literally built into the cliff face. The day before there was an elderly woman sitting outside with some chairs and a table. It seemed to be her place. On this morning an artist was there painting the beautiful scene.


Emily on the steps leading down to the beach. Despite my mangling of languages (And I, on this trip, managed to answer ever question with the German "
Ja" instead of the Spanish "Si" and thanked the guy at the fruit market with "Merci
Gracias," a ridiculous combination of French and Spanish ...) Emily was impressed when I ordered these smoothies and some water in Spanish (because she doesn't know Spanish. She doesn't know I used the German word for "Orange" in ordering. Oh well.)

The beaches were composed of small, smooth gravel in the water and at the shore and then larger, smooth stones further up. We took water shoes because, being from Florida and being used to walking on fine, sugar-white sand, I thought it might be uncomfortable. But it felt great.


Flowers were blooming everywhere. I really liked these vining blue/purple ones that were on every hill.

The water was chilly, but gorgeous. It took a while to get used to swimming, but was wonderful when you finally managed it.


This may be my favorite photo. It's just a drinking fountain at the Balcony.

Eric and Vance

Can you spot Eric, Emily and Vance on these rocks? This was just below the restaurant at the Balcony.

Eric and King Alfonso, who in 1885 visited this spot and declared it to be the "Balcony of Europe."
That's it for now. Obviously I have a million more photos, and some other wonderful memories to share (the food alone needs a whole post). But right now, I've got some chores to get to. And you need to get back to work. Love to all - Val
No comments:
Post a Comment