Thursday, October 7, 2010

Road Skills

It occurred to me this morning that it is going to be difficult getting used to driving in the States again.
In Germany:
- I frequently drive at 100mph without thinking
- I let the Navigon tell me where to turn
- I often drive with 2 wheels on the sidewalk (this is normal, not my bad driving)
- I expect you to move over if I come up behind you in the left lane
- I accept as fact the civility of the most wonderful traffic consideration - properly using a zipper technique to blend
- I have come to love the convenience of the traffic circle

But I won't miss:
- Parking spaces that require a 12-point turn to enter
- Parking garages that require heavy prayer, patience and that 12-point turn to round a corner
- Someone always being right on your tail when you don't have the Navigon, are on a narrow street with no street signs and trying to find you turn
- Making the narrow turn out of my driveway with a car parked perpendicular right behind me
- Making the icy winter ascent into my angled driveway on my steep street, or the aforementioned exit from my drive onto an icy road

As a bonus, I have learned to use all my mirrors all the time. You never know when someone is coming up behind you, and because of frequent lane changes you always have to be aware of everyone everwhere around you. And I've taught the kids to be my left and right vision when I back out of a space (it helps to have extra eyes even when you are using all your mirrors.)

So, that's just what I was thinking about this morning ...

Love to all - Val

No comments:

Post a Comment