Thursday, December 10, 2009

Driving With the Germans

So, everyone thinks that driving in Germany is a free-for-all of speed. Most city roads have a 70kph (45mph) limit. The Autobahn? Yes, there are areas with no speed limit. In these areas there is a suggested limit of 130kph (80mph). But yes, I routinely get blown by at speeds that slightly make me jump. I keep it around 130kph in the van, maybe 150kph passing, and higher in the BMW (man that car is made for speed and maneuvering. You can slide into traffic sideways going 100mph without thinking. But you need a cup-holder? Or headroom? Or the option of elegantly getting out of the car? Not so much. But driving distance in traffic? It is a sweet ride.)

Also on the Autobahn the speed changes frequently. So frequently that I find it hard to keep track. But the Navigon always has the current speed limit on-screen. If there is no limit, it's blank in that spot. And if you exceed the posted speed limit it says "Caution." If you don't slow down it says "Caution" again. Which sometimes makes Eric call it the Nag-igon and tell her to "Shut it."

But here is the perfect beauty of driving in Germany ... everyone knows the rules. They follow the rules. You don't get the person driving slow in the left lane holding up traffic. If you are in the left lane driving faster than the person you are approaching, they move over. Did you get that? They move over. There are typically 3 lanes and people are in the correct lane for their speed. You can pass. It is easy. They see you coming from behind. You don't have to slowdown. You just pass in the next left-most lane. It is well done choreography.

When my Mom was here she mentioned that she had not seen any accidents. Its true. You know the rules. You follow the rules. It makes it easy to predict what all the drivers around you are going to do at any moment. She also mentioned how fast I was driving a couple of times. I didn't even notice it, but it was stressful for her. Even when Eric was driving. And Eric is the world's best driver. And his parking? No space is too small or too angled. He backs in and there is equal distance from all sides. I will park far away so I have plenty of room and sometimes still have to do a 3-point to exit a space (for the record, so do most people unless they are in a minicar). When I see a pull-through space, I swear I hear angels sing. She also got nervous on the small roads, which are a problem. Single lane road? Why not park on both sides? Sure. Interval it if you can so I weave driving down the street around cars to the left and right. But again, if there is a car coming toward you on one of those narrow roads there are rules. If it is more open on my "side" you pull over until I pass. If your side is more open, I will pull over. No playing chicken. No wondering what to do. Again, its easy to predict what other people are going to do.

See, I make a good German. I love predictability and order. And Puma shoes. These are my people, no? So that, friends, is how a Florida girl drives in Germany. Love - Val


1 comment:

  1. Val--
    I want you all to come to Saudi so Eric can drive here and park here. I LOVED driving in Germany...LOVED it! Here...Laurie calls it a ballet (and I never took lessons). However, the UK guy that works with me recently said "Tim, you drive like a proper Saudi." I said (with a smile) "Thanks!"

    ReplyDelete