Thursday, December 3, 2009

I need my BBC

In our living room we have satellite TV - Armed Forces Network, about 8 channels of American television. Upstairs in our office we have German cable (KabelBW) bundled with our internet and phone. It has several English channels - ESPN, CNBC, BBC, cartoons, music channels. It took about 6 weeks to get it installed (although we're told that was pretty quick). Then they came out, worked a while and announced they were done. "Great, thank you. What's my phone number?" "Oh, that will be mailed to you in a few days." "Huh? Ok. Shouldn't I have a cable convertor box?" "Yes, that will be mailed to you next week." The phone number never came. I called my cell from the phone and got it from Caller ID. The box did come a few days later and Eric hooked it up. We also have a weird problem where occasionally the channels switch places. BBC was on 294, then 298. Then a few weeks ago, according to the guide, it was on 282. But when I went to 282 I got a German message that "Your SmartCard is not enabled for this channel." Since that's the only channel I really watch, I was bummed. Finally this week I got around to going down to KableBW to find out what happened.

So again I go in with my best German phrases ... "I'm sorry. My German is not good," exchange a few pleasantries, tell him my customer number and decide I can't do this in German. It's a multi-part problem. So, "English, please." Luckily I know this guy speaks English because he helped me when our phone number changed itself (another story).

So I explain my problem. Then he says "So you want English channels?"
"Well, I have English channels. It's just BBC is not working."
"You want English channels?"
"I have English channels."
"You have German channels. You want English channels?"
"I have German channels and English channels."
"No, these are English channels (he shows me a list of channels I have). You have German channels."
"No, I have those channels. I watch that one and that one and that one."
"No, you have German channels. The computer tells me this. Since January 2009 you have German channels. You want English channels?"

I know. This has to stop. So I warmly say "yes, please. I would like those channels." He says"I can do this" and makes a call. Then he tells me to go home, re-input my card, put it on one of these English channels and it will open up all the English channels. I tell him,"Thank you so much for all your help. Tchuss" And when I get home, there is BBC on 282, and all of the other channels are where they were.

So I am pretty proud of myself for letting it go. Because here's the thing. Have you ever heard Dr Phil say "Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?" I know what he wants you to say. But me? I want to be right. If I am right, how can I be happy if you don't accept that I am right? So big step Val for just thanking him (and letting him think he was right) and moving on.

Crap. As I was typing that last part I realized ... maybe I'm telling you this to prove to someone that I'm right. I just substituted you for the KableBW guy. So much for emotional growth.

But at least I'm right. So you just made me happy.

Love - Val

4 comments:

  1. That last part was hilarious. I laughed so hard I had to explain the set-up and follow-on comment to my desk neighbor. I know you were right and I'm glad you're happy! Love you. - Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val--
    Funny stuff. You do get to a point when you allow them to be "right" and you to be "happy"..eventhough deep down you know you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was funny Valarie. What a great attitude!
    Karron

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just reading this now...but how funny!!! Instead of proving you are right just look at it as "venting"!!!! We all need to do that from time to time!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete