Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Ugly American

Last week we took a "Castle Burning Cruise." Three times each summer Heidelberg re-enacts the burning of the Heidelberg castle (and Heidelberg itself) by the French. I'll post more on that later, when I get the video Emily shot. It is beautiful and amazing, done with lights and fireworks. The cruise enabled us to be anchored in the river with a great view.

However .... we got tickets through the Army base. The boat was rented by the USO, and everyone aboard was American except the crew. First, I have mentioned before that Americans talk louder than other nationalities. This group also seemed to have a disproportionate number of those type of people who talk a little louder than necessary to the person next to them in order to bait others into joining the conversation. Do you know the kind of person I mean? On top of that there were a few in the group drinking way too much.

There was a galley where you ordered your food and drinks, and we were seated next to the line. A German Grandmother (Oma) and Grandfather (Opa) were making the food and rustling up the drinks. They were really hustling. The menu signs were all in English, and they knew the English for ordering. But time after time, person after person stepped up and ordered loudly and impatiently like Oma and Opa were mostly deaf and slow.

As I've told you, my German isn't good. But my restaurant-ordering German is passable. So I stepped up and ordered in a normal-volume and thankful (she's about to get me 4 drinks and 4 meals that I don't have to get myself or wash the dishes. I am thankful.) tone in German. She forgot one item. I apologized in German in case I mis-ordered. She said back to me, in German that it was her, she was losing her brain. Then the Opa said, in German, it had been a long, busy day. They both smiled at me as I paid and seemed to relax for a moment. And the Oma said "Vielen Dank." That is more than the usual "Danke (Thanks)" or "Danke schon (Thank you, or literally, pretty thanks)." It means "Thank you very much." That made my day.

I never want to be the "Ugly American."

1 comment: