At all the military posts we have German gate guards. They all speak English and are all very nice. And how long could any of us be pleasant standing in 20 degree weather checking ID's for hours?
Yesterday was one of those particularly cold days, and I was going on-post. The gate guard took my ID, and as he was scanning it, asked how I was.
"Good. How are you?"
"I'm here."
So I said, "Well, thank you for showing up today." (which, written, may look like sarcasm, but I was completely sincere. It wasn't even something I thought about saying. I just said it.)
He looked up from his scanner like no one had ever said "Thank you" to him before, like that was the nicest thing anyone had ever said. He said "Thank you!" (and Germans aren't given to saying anything that would, in writing, require an exclamation point.)
And this isn't just a German thing. Try saying something extra nice to someone today. Be the first person to notice someone's new haircut, or thank them for doing something they normally do. Or if you live in San Angelo, compliment the lady at Walmart who always wears the flower over one ear. She loves that. Or that guy who bakes the "Hot, fresh, french bread" at Albertson's (but he's a talker, so allow yourself some time). There are people all around you whose days would change with a Thank You.
And Thank you for reading this. That makes my day.
Love You - Val

Thank you for blogging this!! I love reading your blogs!! Makes MY day!! Miss you!!
ReplyDelete