First, I have hit my Christmas-break wall. I long for the sweet silence of Monday when the kids go back to school. Today was rainy, grey and cold, and nothing was open. So it was a long day. I really didn't feel like making another meal. So we went to Burger King.
It was crowded since it was the only thing open (that and the gas station). Finally, my turn. I order (to make it easier I'll just write it all in English, even though the girl at the register and I both spoke in mixed English/German.)
"Hello. Kids meal, hamburger with fries and orange juice, please. And the number 3 with fries and a coke."
"The double cheeseburger meal?"
"Yes, 3. And a number 7 with fries and a coke."
It did not occur to me that the total was off, at 21.50Euros. I paid and waited for our food. She was rushing around completing orders, then handed me our drinks. But there were 4 drinks plus an orange juice (that's 2 extra drinks for those of you playing along at home.)
Then I see more bags coming. I realize that when I agreed "Yes, 3." she rang up 3 of the number 3s. Whatever. I've already paid and don't feel like trying to explain that. Just another day in Germany. Now I've got 2 extra double-cheeseburger meals.
But then she says, "We don't have a hamburger. Can I give you a cheeseburger?" That doesn't make sense. How can they offer to give me a cheeseburger, but not a hamburger? So I ask her to repeat. That seems to be what she's saying. So I say "no cheese." But she says it again. I look at Emily, hoping she gets what I am missing. She's blank. People are staring (they're waiting for their orders. They've got nothing better to do, right?) So I say "Okay, whatever" figuring I've misunderstood and the order is already messed up anyway.
So we get home and Vance has a cheeseburger (in addition to Emily's double-cheeseburger meal, plus the other 2 additionala double-cheeseburger meals.), but he wanted a regular burger. She had been telling me there was no burger, could she give me a cheeseburger. I don't even understand how that's possible. Rustle me up a cheeseburger without the cheese. Boom. You've got a hamburger.
That is pretty much how every errand happens here. Even when you get all the words, they don't work out the same. Don't even get me started on the day I got a sweater for Vance at H+M. They were half price, but instead she charged me double and couldn't understand what I was trying to tell her even when pointing at the 50% off on the tag and the original price. That's why its such a victory when you do get through an errand correctly or just slip under the radar and find what you need.
Yeah, it's just been one of those days. Love - Val

Funny!!
ReplyDeleteI recently went to the Turkish barber to get groomed. The next thing I know I'm buying my own grooming bag (with all sorts of stuff), a facial (the heavy duty one), haircut, pedicure and a shave.
Some English, Arabic and Turkish and I've spent about $200 (but now I have my own grooming bag with scissors, combs, brushes, straight razor, etc..). I'm on a payment plan to pay for it.
HAHA...I love living in a foreign country!
We truly do understand your frustrations with the language barrier. We went to Ikea the other day, and everytime I tried to ask one of the salesmen a question, they waved me away and said, "No English." I went from cashier to cashier asking,"Who DOES speak English?" but they kept waving me away. Finally, someone answered me--"Mohammed. Mohammed." Great! Where is Mohammed? We finally tracked him down. One of the other salesguys looked at Tim and said, "You should speak Arabic." Tim looked at him and said, "This is a Swedish store. Maybe we should be speaking Swedish." The guy smiled, but didn't seem to appreciate the comment. :)
ReplyDeleteWe are impressed by how much German you've learned already. You've motivated me to spend more time learning Arabic. The Ikea experience nudged me in the right direction too. I finally got my colors down yesterday, so it's a start. ..
Laurie, just learn "Im sorry. My Arabic is not good." Then smile and let a little blonde hair peek out. You'll get whatever you need. - Val
ReplyDeleteMom said there would be days like these. You will laugh at this some day. Sorry, I wish I could make it better. I wish we could meet at the playground!!
ReplyDelete